Old 26-04-2012, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_4_] Baz[_4_] is offline

Default Any kale experts here?

"AL_n" wrote in
:

I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned
that it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm
keen to grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable
variety. I'm in the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline
and somewhat clayey. I don't have much growing space left, so if there
is a spieces that grows upwards, rather than outwards, that would be
helpful, as long as it can cope with strong winds.

Many thanks,

Al

Pentland Brig is the only one I have grown and it does very well in the
winds and snow. A very quick grower and sooo tasty.
I have been growing it near a North facing fence as well.
You should try chard too if you like kale.

Good luck.
Baz