Old 26-04-2012, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gareth Gareth is offline

Default Plum tree dead at top?

"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 24/04/2012 09:10, Dave Hill wrote:

As the tree is/was 6ft tall I shouldn't thing it would be such a
problem having more than one leader, after all if the tree gets to

Actually, Dave, the tree *was* 6ft when he planted it. The top foot is
dead so, when that is removed, the tree will only be 5ft. If Gareth limits
his tree to one leader, he can control its height eventually when it
reaches, say, 10ft; higher if he wants it.

To leave, for instance, 2 leaders on this tree, means that when it is
subsequently weighed down by ripening fruit, this 'V' shape could split
apart and tear right down into the tree. Even if Gareth could repair this
damage, the danger is that Silver Leaf Disease will have already entered
the tree through its considerable wound.

I had a magnificent 'Victoria' Plum Tree for years until its branches broke
under the weight of fruit (further burdened by heavy rain), so I know how
easily this can happen.

Thanks again.

Yes, the most difficult part may be waiting for a period of warm and dry
weather!

It's a shame it has to be cut. I guess it will now take a year or two longer
to bear fruit.