Old 22-04-2012, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plum tree dead at top?

I planted a dwarf Victoria plum tree stock last year.

It seems to have done quite well and it is currently flowering.

Problem is there seems to be no activity at all at the top foot of the
approximately 6 foot tree stock. The shoot activity at the top foot or so of
the tree seemed to die a few weeks after planting and it has not recovered.

It's as if the top foot of the tree is dead wood.

Should I prune this off or should I leave it? The tree otherwise seems to be
doing well. I was surprised by how many white flowers it produced.

Old 22-04-2012, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 22, 7:27*pm, "Gareth" wrote:
I planted a dwarf Victoria plum tree stock last year.

It seems to have done quite well and it is currently flowering.

Problem is there seems to be no activity at all at the top foot of the
approximately 6 foot tree stock. The shoot activity at the top foot or so of
the tree seemed to die a few weeks after planting and it has not recovered.

It's as if the top foot of the tree is dead wood.

Should I prune this off or should I leave it? The tree otherwise seems to be
doing well. I was surprised by how many white flowers it produced.

It's strange but few of us have achieved reincarnation with dead
plants.
If the top is dead then cut it off, but make the cut into dead wood,
not live.
If in doubt scratch the bark, if it's gree under the surface it's live
and if brown dead.
Old 22-04-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2012 19:27, Gareth wrote:
I planted a dwarf Victoria plum tree stock last year.

It seems to have done quite well and it is currently flowering.

Problem is there seems to be no activity at all at the top foot of the
approximately 6 foot tree stock. The shoot activity at the top foot or
so of the tree seemed to die a few weeks after planting and it has not
recovered.

It's as if the top foot of the tree is dead wood.

Should I prune this off or should I leave it? The tree otherwise seems
to be doing well. I was surprised by how many white flowers it produced.

Yes, you must cut it back to clean, healthy wood. However, you can only
do this during dry sunny weather, otherwise you risk infection with
Silver Leaf Disease.

After pruning it, it will probably throw up at least 2 new 'leaders'
(your replacement central top shoot). Keep only the strongest,
healthiest leader and cut out the other. Use a cane or stake to tie in
the wanted leader, so that it grows straight.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 23-04-2012, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2012 22:21, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 22, 7:27 pm, wrote:
I planted a dwarf Victoria plum tree stock last year.

It seems to have done quite well and it is currently flowering.

Problem is there seems to be no activity at all at the top foot of the
approximately 6 foot tree stock. The shoot activity at the top foot or so of
the tree seemed to die a few weeks after planting and it has not recovered.

It's as if the top foot of the tree is dead wood.

Should I prune this off or should I leave it? The tree otherwise seems to be
doing well. I was surprised by how many white flowers it produced.

It's strange but few of us have achieved reincarnation with dead
plants.
If the top is dead then cut it off, but make the cut into dead wood,
not live.
If in doubt scratch the bark, if it's gree under the surface it's live
and if brown dead.

Dave, I'm with Spider on this one. The cut must be into healthy wood,
and then if considered necessary (although I don't bother) covered with
a wound sealant. If you cut only into dead wood, and there is dieback
present, it will still spread to the healthy wood. A month or two and
you'll be back in the same position, but with a bit more of the plant dead.

--

Jeff
Old 23-04-2012, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 22, 7:27 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

I quite agree Jeff, but as it's to early to cut back into the live
wood cutting back the dead wood(If it is dead) will tidy up the tree
for now.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks Spider, Dave and Jeff.

It sounds a bit complicated - knowing when and exactly where to cut.

What is likely to happen if I leave it as it is? Will the tree continue to
grow?

So far it seems to have done pretty well this year judging by the number of
white flowers.

Old 23-04-2012, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/04/2012 20:18, Gareth wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message ...

[...]

It really isn't complicated - except for the bit where you look for a
warm dry day!

1) Identify where the tree is dead.
2) Look for healthy growth below this.
3) Cut into healthy wood just above a leaf node (slight swelling).

Subsequently, when your new leaders appear:-

1) Select the best leading shoot, then
2) Cut out the other(s), so there is only one leader.
3) Using a cane or stake in line with the tree trunk, tie in the
selected leader to the cane, so that it grows straight (more or less).
4) After a year or so, the leader will have strengthened and stiffened,
so you will be able to remove the support.

Hope this helps.

Old 24-04-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 23, 10:42*pm, Spider wrote:
[...]

gardening on clay- Hide quoted text -

As the tree is/was 6ft tall I shouldn't thing it would be such a
problem having more than one leader, after all if the tree gets to
high then picking could be a problem-`
Old 24-04-2012, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2012 09:10, Dave Hill wrote:

As the tree is/was 6ft tall I shouldn't thing it would be such a
problem having more than one leader, after all if the tree gets to
high then picking could be a problem-`

But at least then you won't grab a wasp when you pick the fruit. :-)

--

Jeff
Old 24-04-2012, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 23, 10:42 pm, wrote:
[...]

Actually, Dave, the tree *was* 6ft when he planted it. The top foot is
dead so, when that is removed, the tree will only be 5ft. If Gareth
limits his tree to one leader, he can control its height eventually when
it reaches, say, 10ft; higher if he wants it.

To leave, for instance, 2 leaders on this tree, means that when it is
subsequently weighed down by ripening fruit, this 'V' shape could split
apart and tear right down into the tree. Even if Gareth could repair
this damage, the danger is that Silver Leaf Disease will have already
entered the tree through its considerable wound.

I had a magnificent 'Victoria' Plum Tree for years until its branches
broke under the weight of fruit (further burdened by heavy rain), so I
know how easily this can happen.

Old 26-04-2012, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks again.

Yes, the most difficult part may be waiting for a period of warm and dry
weather!

It's a shame it has to be cut. I guess it will now take a year or two longer
to bear fruit.

Old 26-04-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2012 21:46, Gareth wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message ...

[...]

Shouldn't do. Didn't you say you had lots of flower on it earlier?
Provided the flowers were pollinated, you should still get some sort of
crop. However, if you have squirrels (deeply cute flying rats), they
will get the lion's share :~(.

Old 29-04-2012, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 26/04/2012 21:46, Gareth wrote:

It's a shame it has to be cut. I guess it will now take a year or two
longer to bear fruit.

Shouldn't do. Didn't you say you had lots of flower on it earlier?
Provided the flowers were pollinated, you should still get some sort of
crop. However, if you have squirrels (deeply cute flying rats), they
will get the lion's share :~(.

Yes, lots of squirrels. Another challenge to look forward to!
Old 29-04-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2012 11:33, Gareth wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message ...

On 26/04/2012 21:46, Gareth wrote:

It's a shame it has to be cut. I guess it will now take a year or two
longer to bear fruit.

Shouldn't do. Didn't you say you had lots of flower on it earlier?
Provided the flowers were pollinated, you should still get some sort
of crop. However, if you have squirrels (deeply cute flying rats),
they will get the lion's share :~(.

Yes, lots of squirrels. Another challenge to look forward to!

:~} Well, if you find the secret of stopping them, do come back and let
me know.

Hope you get a chance to enjoy your fruit.