Old 29-04-2012, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Oak seedlings

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Advice to anyone wanting mighty oaks -- plant a couple of acorns in each
location where you want one. Wait a year or two and then cull the
extra(s).

"Farm1" wrote:
That might work where you live, but you would be the exception rather than
the rule. We have to make sure we water them (it's way too dry for young
oaks to survive without that), put tree guards aorund them when they are
small (or the hares eat them), and make sure they are well protected by
stock proof fences (or the kangaroos decimate them or the cows eat them).

John my also not be paying attention to the difference between being in
a forest or forest-edge-like environment (where trees will sprout and
grow on their own easily) and being in a non-forested environment.
Trees, and lack of trees, affect the environment they are in, (and the
microclimate near them.) If you get a big enough block of oaks (or mixed
woods) going, (ie, go beyond windbreaks to a woodlot) they might well
reach a point of self-seeding successfully; or really fat parrots.

I don't know how it's going, but there was some notable success decades
ago with planting trees (probably not oaks) on the edge of the sahara
desert as a means of reversing its spread, and altering the microclimate
to a more hospitable one for growing other things, not having the soil
blow away, etc. "great green wall" appears to be a
continuation/expansion of that idea. The initial trees are, naturally,
going to need some support/care.