Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mystery plant

Steve Peek wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3
years ago, that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly
medicinal. Also, even domestic parsnips come with a warning about not
handling the stems and leaves. But in this case there have not been
any problems from contact.
Then perhaps it is second year parsley. They are closely related.

No not parsley. Dig down to the crown and scratch it, the size and shape is
not diagnostic (it could be a rather stunted parsnip and be almost any
shape) but the smell of parsnip is quite strong and characteristic.