Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mystery plant

Anybody able to identify it from this photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/7137343753/
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jerry writes:

Anybody able to identify it from this photo?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/7137343753/

Not sure, but the first thing I thought of is Hogweed.

Read about it. It's very dangerous to touch Hogweed.

--
Dan Espen
Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Not sure, but the first thing I thought of is Hogweed.

Read about it. It's very dangerous to touch Hogweed.

--
Dan Espen

Yes, some similarity but also significant differences, especially leaf shape and the main stem. Also, my wife has been touching it quite a bit, also tasted the leaves, with no problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Not sure, but the first thing I thought of is Hogweed.

Read about it. It's very dangerous to touch Hogweed.

--
Dan Espen

Yes, some similarity. But leaves and main stem are quite different from Hogweed. Also, color of flowers. My wife has touched in a number of times, even sampled the leaves, with no ill effects.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Did you have parsnips there last year? They are biannual and that looks like
one in its' second year about to make seed.
HTH,
Steve

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3 years ago, that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly medicinal. Also, even domestic parsnips come with a warning about not handling the stems and leaves. But in this case there have not been any problems from contact.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jerry" wrote in message

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3 years ago,
that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly medicinal. Also, even
domestic parsnips come with a warning about not handling the stems and
leaves. But in this case there have not been any problems from contact.

Then perhaps it is second year parsley. They are closely related.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Steve Peek wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3
years ago, that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly
medicinal. Also, even domestic parsnips come with a warning about not
handling the stems and leaves. But in this case there have not been
any problems from contact.
Then perhaps it is second year parsley. They are closely related.

No not parsley. Dig down to the crown and scratch it, the size and shape is
not diagnostic (it could be a rather stunted parsnip and be almost any
shape) but the smell of parsnip is quite strong and characteristic.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3
years ago, that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly
medicinal. Also, even domestic parsnips come with a warning about not
handling the stems and leaves. But in this case there have not been
any problems from contact.
Then perhaps it is second year parsley. They are closely related.

No not parsley. Dig down to the crown and scratch it, the size and shape
is not diagnostic (it could be a rather stunted parsnip and be almost any
shape) but the smell of parsnip is quite strong and characteristic.

Welcome to the wide world of common names. Apparently the name parsnip is
not the same across the pond. It seems that parsnip and parsley root are
different things. Obviously the original poster is mistaken and the plant is
parsnip or at least what we call parsnip in the US of A.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry[_4_] View Post
Anybody able to identify it from this photo?

Mystery plant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Yeh it is a very rare specie of tribal kiniticelt found in the snowdonian mountins