Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Mystery plant

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Steve Peek wrote:
"Jerry" wrote in message

Against my better judgement, I agree with Steve: parsnip.

I do see the resemblance. But my wife recalls, when buying it 2-3
years ago, that it was labeled as some kind of herb, possibly
medicinal. Also, even domestic parsnips come with a warning about not
handling the stems and leaves. But in this case there have not been
any problems from contact.
Then perhaps it is second year parsley. They are closely related.

No not parsley. Dig down to the crown and scratch it, the size and shape
is not diagnostic (it could be a rather stunted parsnip and be almost any
shape) but the smell of parsnip is quite strong and characteristic.

Welcome to the wide world of common names. Apparently the name parsnip is
not the same across the pond. It seems that parsnip and parsley root are
different things. Obviously the original poster is mistaken and the plant is
parsnip or at least what we call parsnip in the US of A.