Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstockguy View Post
We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall. Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks
If you plant the pit of a Bing cherry, you'll get something. Odds are
about 50,0000:1 that "anything" and "worth something" will be the same,
but it's a lot better odds than the lottery, if you have the time and
space.
Bing is a specific variety (that will not come true from seed) of the
generic "sweet cherry". I'm not sure how wide the variance really is for
seedling cherry, but certainly in apples, most seedlings result in fruit
that does not taste very appealing - which is why specific varieties are
selected and cloned - typically by grafting or budding, less commonly by
layering. Newfangled tissue culture would be another option.
The pictures you show - the outside one might be a cherry (or a plum, or
an apricot - all prunus look pretty similar) the one in the pot does not
- the leaves are too smooth-edged and blunt-tipped.
Fruit Trees