Old 28-04-2012, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can you identify these young trees?

We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall. Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks
Old 29-04-2012, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
18536767.21.1335650663197.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynfi5,
ncstockguy wrote:

We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall.
Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks

If you plant the pit of a Bing cherry, you'll get something. Odds are
about 50,0000:1 that "anything" and "worth something" will be the same,
but it's a lot better odds than the lottery, if you have the time and
space.

Bing is a specific variety (that will not come true from seed) of the
generic "sweet cherry". I'm not sure how wide the variance really is for
seedling cherry, but certainly in apples, most seedlings result in fruit
that does not taste very appealing - which is why specific varieties are
selected and cloned - typically by grafting or budding, less commonly by
layering. Newfangled tissue culture would be another option.

The pictures you show - the outside one might be a cherry (or a plum, or
an apricot - all prunus look pretty similar) the one in the pot does not
- the leaves are too smooth-edged and blunt-tipped.

Old 29-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstockguy View Post
We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall. Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks
Never heard of 'bing cherry' but looks like a 'sweet bay' to me (Laurus nobilis).
Lannerman.
Old 29-04-2012, 06:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:33:58 +0000, lannerman
wrote:

ncstockguy;957314 Wrote:
We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall.
Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://tinyurl.com/ceamrqn

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://tinyurl.com/c35sns3

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with
those?

Never heard of 'bing cherry'.
Lannerman.

Bing Cherry is probably the most popular fresh cherry sold in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bing_cherry

Old 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Later on I may plant some more bing cherry seeds to see if those seedlings look the same. Not interested in growing bings from seed, for obvious hybrid reasons.
It could be something besides a cherry but that's the direction I'm leaning for now.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

ncstockguy wrote:

Later on I may plant some more bing cherry seeds to see if those seedlings look the same.

All types of cherry tree seedlings look alike, all cherry trees look
alike except for their fruit... you'd spend your time far more
beneficially masturbating.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User

Location: California

[...]

__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

If all cherry seedlings look the same, do you think those little trees are
cherries or something else?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall.
Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks

The young tree outside does indeed appear to be a cherry of some sort
(probably choke cherry if you are indeed in NC). The inside plant is very
different. Notice the edge of the leaf, the outside leaf is serrate, the
plant in the pot is smooth. All Prunus (cherry, plum,peach,apricot, etc.,
etc...)species that I'm aware of have serrate edged leaves. IMHO the plant
in the pot looks a bit like bay laurel.
HTH,
Steve

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User

ncstockguy wrote:

Later on I may plant some more bing cherry seeds to see if those seedlings look the same.

All types of cherry tree seedlings look alike, all cherry trees look
alike except for their fruit.
I'm in the Uk and at the moment, non of our stone fruits have established leaves but maybe where you are yours do ?? thats why I think these are bay trees !! Have they had leaves all winter ?? They certainly dont look like cherries that we have here in the Uk, the leaves are wrong !
Obviously a previous poster is a complete w----r, what a lovely thing to write!!
regards Lannerman.
(I might be wrong but at least I'm being civil and trying to help)