Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Can you identify these young trees?

"ncstockguy" wrote in message
We have a seedling coming up in a pot, it is now about 3 inches tall.
Unfortunately we can't remember which seed it was.
Photo: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...ESEEDLING2.jpg

Here is a similar looking young tree outside, about 14 inches tall
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a84...TDOORTREE2.jpg

We are thinking they might be Bing cherries. Anyone familiar with those?
Thanks

The young tree outside does indeed appear to be a cherry of some sort
(probably choke cherry if you are indeed in NC). The inside plant is very
different. Notice the edge of the leaf, the outside leaf is serrate, the
plant in the pot is smooth. All Prunus (cherry, plum,peach,apricot, etc.,
etc...)species that I'm aware of have serrate edged leaves. IMHO the plant
in the pot looks a bit like bay laurel.
HTH,
Steve