Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default The fieldfare tree

On 07/05/2012 22:03, Christina Websell wrote:
I promised Spider I would look at it in the Spring to see if we could
identify it.
It has apple-like leaves. It has buds that are flushed red and opens into
white blossom with five large petals, in bunches.
It has a bark like a hawthorn, and is similar in shape and size for a 30 yr
old hawthorn. It has fruit similar to hawthorn, but not the same.
Whatever it is the fieldfares loved it.
I would really like to know what it is.
Tina

Hi Tina,

Glad I saw this. I don't suppose there's any chance of a photo, is
there? It might help to see the blossom, if it's still in tact. I'm
finding it hard to imagine a tree with hawthorn bark, but apple leaves
and flowers.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London