Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Hunt James Hunt is offline

Default Pruning a mature horse chestnut

On May 8, 1:05*am, James Hunt wrote:
On May 8, 12:46*am, Janet wrote:

"James Hunt" wrote in message
A mature horse chestnut about 20m high lies between my neighbours and
my garden, splitting our boundary fence.

He wants it cut down so he gets more sun in his garden, we want it
left as is - we've compromised on pruning the top 30% and removing as
much as possible from their side of the tree, sharing the costs.

*Insist on seeing the contractor's certificate of insurance for chainsaw
work... before agreeing the contract. If he is a trained and qualified
professional he will expect to be asked and be pleased to show it. If he
hasn't got one don't employ him.

* Janet

This is a reply to all comments thus far. Firstly thank you for yuor
feedback.

Secondly, as to my situation, we'll be pressing for a proper tree
surgeon (that we have used before). I think this feedback is enough to
halt my neighbour's plans.

I ought to say though, please do reply if you feel you have any
relevant info - I still would like everyone's opinion as to pruning
horse chestnuts at this time of year..

Thanks.