Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Sweecorn

harry wrote:
On May 7, 8:02?pm, "Pete C" wrote:
If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?

There is no adverse outcome from cross pollination unless you intend
to save seed.

Are you sure? I've seen it mentioned before that poor germination in the cobs
is due to cross-pollination - ie, when you get a cob with only a few kernels
on it, it can be either lack of pollination, or pollination with the 'wrong'
variety. (Which seems a bit contrary to most other plants, but I'm willing
to accept that sweetcorn are a special case)