Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweecorn

If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?
Thanks
Pete C

Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pete C wrote:

If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?

Even in the west, there is only a slight predominance of westerly
winds - in the east, all directions are equally likely. How far
far the pollen will blow will depend on the wind strength, but I
don't have a clue whether 30' is a long way or not.

At worst, you will lose some of the 'extra sweet' property - as I
go to trouble to avoid any of that, I can't help much :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 7, 8:02*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?
Thanks
Pete C

There is no adverse outcome from cross pollination unless you intend
to save seed.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
On May 7, 8:02?pm, "Pete C" wrote:
If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?

There is no adverse outcome from cross pollination unless you intend
to save seed.

Are you sure? I've seen it mentioned before that poor germination in the cobs
is due to cross-pollination - ie, when you get a cob with only a few kernels
on it, it can be either lack of pollination, or pollination with the 'wrong'
variety. (Which seems a bit contrary to most other plants, but I'm willing
to accept that sweetcorn are a special case)

Old 08-05-2012, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 7, 8:02?pm, "Pete C" wrote:
If I plant blocks of two different varieties about 30ft. apart 'across the
wind' what are the chances of cross pollination and possible outcomes?

There is no adverse outcome from cross pollination unless you intend
to save seed.

Are you sure? I've seen it mentioned before that poor germination in the cobs
is due to cross-pollination - ie, when you get a cob with only a few kernels
on it, it can be either lack of pollination, or pollination with the 'wrong'
variety. (Which seems a bit contrary to most other plants, but I'm willing
to accept that sweetcorn are a special case)

I believe that it is bullshit. What is widely stated by reliable
sources is that allowing the extra sweet varieties to be pollinated
by traditional ones risks losing the extra sweet properties, and
that I believe to be true. But, as I said, I dislike the extra
sweet varieties and go to trouble to avoid them.

It does happen with some fruit trees, especially were variant ploidies
are involved.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.