Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
I promised Spider I would look at it in the Spring to see if we could
identify it.
It has apple-like leaves. It has buds that are flushed red and opens into
white blossom with five large petals, in bunches.
It has a bark like a hawthorn, and is similar in shape and size for a 30 yr
old hawthorn. It has fruit similar to hawthorn, but not the same.
Whatever it is the fieldfares loved it.
I would really like to know what it is.
Tina
Someone suggested sorbus, but I haven't seen a sorbus with a crataegus-like bark, though given the closeness of the two genuses, it wouldn't surprise me.

Crataegus is a large genus. There are crataegus with no lobes on their leaves and no thorns, C. crus-galli var inermis for example, but I don't envy someone trying to identify a specific crataegus.