Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default griselina littoralis - younger leaves turned partially black...

Jake wrote in
:

This plant is susceptible to phytophthora ramorum so one thing you
need to check is whether this has appeared in your area.

Thanks for the tip..

Discounting that though, I would guess that your shrubs are pot bound
and getting stressed.

I wouldn't thinks so, because I potted them on within the past 12 months,
and made sure the compost was freely draining.

Grisselina is a thuggish plant when it gets
going and will root deeply and grow vigorously. It's very hardy in the
ground but in a container it can be susceptible to wet and cold. To be
honest, I wouldn't think of it as a container plant. On one estate I
manage it was planted en-masse as hedging and the landscape
contractors are chopping a foot off it three times a year at least.

Yes, I've read that they are vigorous. Mine have been very slow-growing
indeed since I acquired them two years ago - until this Spring, when they
finally got around to developing some new growth. I dare say that keeping
them in containers will limit their ability to grow. Right now, they are
about 3ft tall. I need them to grow about 6ft tall.

Al