Old 09-05-2012, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default griselina littoralis - younger leaves turned partially black...

I've got two Griselinia littoralis shrubs in containers. Some of the
smaller, younger leaves on both plants have turned partially black, and the
black parts are limp. Would that be due to all the rain or recent weeks -
or something else? Are the shrubs in danger of dying, and should I cut off
all the affected leaves?

TIA

Al
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
I've got two Griselinia littoralis shrubs in containers. Some of the
smaller, younger leaves on both plants have turned partially black, and
the
black parts are limp. Would that be due to all the rain or recent weeks -
or something else? Are the shrubs in danger of dying, and should I cut off
all the affected leaves?

TIA

Al

You don't say where you are but the young growth of these is not frost
hardy, so my money would be on cold damage

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2012 18:55, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
I've got two Griselinia littoralis shrubs in containers. Some of the
smaller, younger leaves on both plants have turned partially black,
and the
black parts are limp. Would that be due to all the rain or recent weeks -
or something else? Are the shrubs in danger of dying, and should I cut
off
all the affected leaves?

TIA

Al

You don't say where you are but the young growth of these is not frost
hardy, so my money would be on cold damage

Nah, can't be, Charlie. I've had lots of cold damage in my garden and
your money isn't on any of it! ;~)

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-05-2012, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May 2012 17:49:25 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I've got two Griselinia littoralis shrubs in containers. Some of the
smaller, younger leaves on both plants have turned partially black, and the
black parts are limp. Would that be due to all the rain or recent weeks -
or something else? Are the shrubs in danger of dying, and should I cut off
all the affected leaves?

TIA

Al

This plant is susceptible to phytophthora ramorum so one thing you
need to check is whether this has appeared in your area.

Discounting that though, I would guess that your shrubs are pot bound
and getting stressed. Grisselina is a thuggish plant when it gets
going and will root deeply and grow vigorously. It's very hardy in the
ground but in a container it can be susceptible to wet and cold. To be
honest, I wouldn't think of it as a container plant. On one estate I
manage it was planted en-masse as hedging and the landscape
contractors are chopping a foot off it three times a year at least.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet wrote in
:

I've got two Griselinia littoralis shrubs in containers. Some of the
smaller, younger leaves on both plants have turned partially black,
and the black parts are limp. Would that be due to all the rain or
recent weeks - or something else?

Same has happened to my long-established griselinea hedges. It's not
rain; just a frost or hard chill when new season's early growth was
too tender to take it. As you can see, only new shoots are affected.
You don't need to do anything, as the weather warms up they will
sprout again.

I guess you could be right... particularly, since the black leaves on both
shrubs, are on the same side (presumably the windward side on a
particularly cold night). We did have hail storms for a couple of days, so
there must have been some pretty cold air around.

Al
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

This plant is susceptible to phytophthora ramorum so one thing you
need to check is whether this has appeared in your area.

Thanks for the tip..

Discounting that though, I would guess that your shrubs are pot bound
and getting stressed.

I wouldn't thinks so, because I potted them on within the past 12 months,
and made sure the compost was freely draining.

Grisselina is a thuggish plant when it gets
going and will root deeply and grow vigorously. It's very hardy in the
ground but in a container it can be susceptible to wet and cold. To be
honest, I wouldn't think of it as a container plant. On one estate I
manage it was planted en-masse as hedging and the landscape
contractors are chopping a foot off it three times a year at least.

Yes, I've read that they are vigorous. Mine have been very slow-growing
indeed since I acquired them two years ago - until this Spring, when they
finally got around to developing some new growth. I dare say that keeping
them in containers will limit their ability to grow. Right now, they are
about 3ft tall. I need them to grow about 6ft tall.

Al