Old 10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
allen73 allen73 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddles View Post
Hi there, I am new here and a fairly new own produce gardener. I planted a redcurrent bush last year, against the wall of my house which is west facing. I had no flowers and no fruit last year but kind of expected that. but this year again no flowers, so I bought another redcurrent thinking it may need 2 to pollenate each other but still nothing. what am I doing wrong. Its lovely and healthy, lovely green leaves just no flowers. thank you
Currants require good quality organic nutrients in the soil. They especially need a lot of potassium. It's therefore recommended that you use good quality seaweed compost or seaweed extract. If the leaves turn brown in summertime this is a sign that the plant is suffering from potassium deficiency. A good time to add compost is at the beginning of spring and again when they start bearing fruit, because the fruiting process requires a lot of nutrients from the soil.
Fruit Trees