Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default White clover as living mulch

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much taller than clover
so I figure the clover won't compete for sun with the corn. The other
benefit is that the corn patch doesn't get mowed so the clover will be
able to flower which will attract bees and bees are great for all the
plants in the garden. I've been using clover on my lawn for a couple of
years which has worked out nicely as it's greened up the grass where the
clover and grass coexist and it grows in spots where grass doesn't do
well. However it doesn't get to flower much in the lawn because the lawn
gets mowed.

i suspect what you gain at one point you
lose in others. but i will be interested to
hear how this goes.

i'm also interested in the background and
more details and plans you might have, like
how you prepared and planted the area and
how large it is and how you are going to plant
the corn, manage weeds, etc.

songbird