Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default White clover as living mulch

Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much taller than clover
so I figure the clover won't compete for sun with the corn. The other
benefit is that the corn patch doesn't get mowed so the clover will be
able to flower which will attract bees and bees are great for all the
plants in the garden. I've been using clover on my lawn for a couple of
years which has worked out nicely as it's greened up the grass where the
clover and grass coexist and it grows in spots where grass doesn't do
well. However it doesn't get to flower much in the lawn because the lawn
gets mowed.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen.

I've done a bit of reading about 'clever clover' from the CSIRO's Dr
Stirzaker.
Same principles but dies down in summer so the plants don't get overgrown by
clover. You can read a bit more at the following:
http://www.diggers.com.au/shop/produ...T%20CSIRO.aspx

http://www.lucerneseeds.com.au/lucer...-all-the-work/

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much taller than clover
so I figure the clover won't compete for sun with the corn. The other
benefit is that the corn patch doesn't get mowed so the clover will be
able to flower which will attract bees and bees are great for all the
plants in the garden. I've been using clover on my lawn for a couple of
years which has worked out nicely as it's greened up the grass where the
clover and grass coexist and it grows in spots where grass doesn't do
well. However it doesn't get to flower much in the lawn because the lawn
gets mowed.

i suspect what you gain at one point you
lose in others. but i will be interested to
hear how this goes.

i'm also interested in the background and
more details and plans you might have, like
how you prepared and planted the area and
how large it is and how you are going to plant
the corn, manage weeds, etc.

songbird
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Schvantzkoph View Post
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much taller than clover
so I figure the clover won't compete for sun with the corn. The other
benefit is that the corn patch doesn't get mowed so the clover will be
able to flower which will attract bees and bees are great for all the
plants in the garden. I've been using clover on my lawn for a couple of
years which has worked out nicely as it's greened up the grass where the
clover and grass coexist and it grows in spots where grass doesn't do
well. However it doesn't get to flower much in the lawn because the lawn
gets mowed.
Without knowing where you're located, I can't say for sure. But I can tell you of our experience with white clover in paths.

If seeded thickly, it will pretty much keep out other weeds. You will need to mow it or it will get a bit out of hand - mowing doesn't hurt it at all here in Minnesota. It works well under corn, but tends to want to creep into strawberries, but it can be hoed back without too much effort if you stay on top of it.

When you want to turn it under, it can be turned with a shovel. The only downside we've seen is that on a slope, after rain, it can be a bit slippery, expecially if not kept mowed. Also, if you have slug problems, they really like hanging out in a clover patch.

Another possibility for clover interseeded in corn is to use something like crimson clover, which will winter kill in our area (Zone 4 Minnesota). It is only hardy in zones warmer than here. Then you don't have any vegetation trying to sprout up after tilling in the spring.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8 May 2012 14:57:30 GMT, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen. Corn is much taller than clover
so I figure the clover won't compete for sun with the corn. The other
benefit is that the corn patch doesn't get mowed so the clover will be
able to flower which will attract bees and bees are great for all the
plants in the garden. I've been using clover on my lawn for a couple of
years which has worked out nicely as it's greened up the grass where the
clover and grass coexist and it grows in spots where grass doesn't do
well. However it doesn't get to flower much in the lawn because the lawn
gets mowed.

I've read about it and used red clover one year with tomatoes but I
didn't sow it early enough I think. Good luck!

Old 15-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Schvantzkoph View Post
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen.
But nitrogen-fixing plants don't release nitrogen to other plants while it is growing. It is only when you plough it back in to the soil or compost it that you get a net nitrogen increase for future crops. Meanwhile, intercropping it, it competes with other plants by taking up water and other nutrients.

Peas and beans also fix nitrogen. But you still need rich fertile soil to get a good crop off them.
Old 16-05-2012, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:01:55 +0000, echinosum wrote:

General Schvantzkoph;958241 Wrote:
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen
and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen.

But nitrogen-fixing plants don't release nitrogen to other plants while
it is growing. It is only when you plough it back in to the soil or
compost it that you get a net nitrogen increase for future crops.
Meanwhile, intercropping it, it competes with other plants by taking up
water and other nutrients.

Peas and beans also fix nitrogen. But you still need rich fertile soil
to get a good crop off them.

Water not a problem, I get plenty of rain and I have an automatic watering
system. The clover should suppress the weeds and in the long run it will
provide nitrogen. I have my corn started in peat planters along with a pea
plant with each corn plant. The peas should be able to use the corn stalk
as a pole. I'll plant the corn and pea plants when they are a few inches
high which will put them above the clover.