Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Redcurrent Bushes

siddles said:

Hi there, I am new here and a fairly new own produce gardener. I
planted a redcurrent bush last year, against the wall of my house which
is west facing. I had no flowers and no fruit last year but kind of
expected that. but this year again no flowers, so I bought another
redcurrent thinking it may need 2 to pollenate each other but still
nothing. what am I doing wrong. Its lovely and healthy, lovely green
leaves just no flowers. thank you

They are self-fruitful, but the western exposure is far from optimal.
They would do much better in an eastern exposure with morning sun
and afternoon shade, or with shade through the warmest part of the
day. My red currant bore fruit the second year and is located in a
spot with morning sun.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."