Old 16-05-2012, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default White clover as living mulch

On Tue, 15 May 2012 16:01:55 +0000, echinosum wrote:

General Schvantzkoph;958241 Wrote:
Has anyone used white clover as living mulch? I've just planted white
dutch clover in my corn field on the theory that clover fixes nitrogen
and
corn consumes vast quantities of nitrogen.

But nitrogen-fixing plants don't release nitrogen to other plants while
it is growing. It is only when you plough it back in to the soil or
compost it that you get a net nitrogen increase for future crops.
Meanwhile, intercropping it, it competes with other plants by taking up
water and other nutrients.

Peas and beans also fix nitrogen. But you still need rich fertile soil
to get a good crop off them.

Water not a problem, I get plenty of rain and I have an automatic watering
system. The clover should suppress the weeds and in the long run it will
provide nitrogen. I have my corn started in peat planters along with a pea
plant with each corn plant. The peas should be able to use the corn stalk
as a pole. I'll plant the corn and pea plants when they are a few inches
high which will put them above the clover.