Old 16-05-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dumming down

"Rod" wrote ...

Bob Hobden ranted on:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...

Was at one of the "Sheds" on Sat. and they had 6 packs of Tomatoes
well labeled "Red tomatoes" and "Yelow tomatoes" Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's become standard practice with Water Lilies over the last few years,
went to a large (small chain) GC yesterday and they sold Red, Pink,
Yellow
and White hardy water lilies. Absolutely disgusting, they wouldn't do it
with roses so why water lilies. Labelled like that you have no idea what
variety you getting, how it will grow, and if the flower colour and shape
is
what you want. The man that inspired Monet to paint his lilies, Joseph
Bory
Latour-Marliac, must be spinning in his grave.

Better to get them from a proper nursery...

http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/...56c2f245e3cc66

http://www.latour-marliac.com/index....mentidlangue=1

Not just waterlilies Bob, Rhododendrons as well. Roses - well most of the
varieties on sale I've never heard of.
Tall bearded Iris - 3 varieties in our local not bad GC compared with
hundreds in a proper nursery list.
Paeonies 2 varieties, Day Lilies 2 varieties etc....................

Yes I know the varieties of every plant family on sale in the sheds and
multiple GCs seem to be reducing but my point is to just say Red or Yellow
with no variety mentioned at all is absurd. What does the leaf look like, is
it red or green, has it splashes of colour, are the petals broad or spiky,
what does it smell like, .... rant over.

Anyway, repotted my "Peach Glow" today and went down to Lilies and got
another "Gloire de Temple sur Lot", trust me, their picture on the web site
does not do it's beauty justice.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...57627295692980
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.