Old 17-05-2012, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dumming down

In message
10338756.1023.1337190246755.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbyg17, Rod
writes
On Tuesday, 15 May 2012 23:10:34 UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote ...

Was at one of the "Sheds" on Sat. and they had 6 packs of Tomatoes
well labeled "Red tomatoes" and "Yelow tomatoes" Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It's become standard practice with Water Lilies over the last few years,
went to a large (small chain) GC yesterday and they sold Red, Pink, Yellow
and White hardy water lilies. Absolutely disgusting, they wouldn't do it
with roses so why water lilies. Labelled like that you have no idea what
variety you getting, how it will grow, and if the flower colour and shape is
what you want. The man that inspired Monet to paint his lilies, Joseph Bory
Latour-Marliac, must be spinning in his grave.

Better to get them from a proper nursery...

http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk/...6f3d3cd3ab5198
056c2f245e3cc66

http://www.latour-marliac.com/index....mentidlangue=1

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Not just waterlilies Bob, Rhododendrons as well. Roses - well most of
the varieties on sale I've never heard of.
Tall bearded Iris - 3 varieties in our local not bad GC compared with
hundreds in a proper nursery list.
Paeonies 2 varieties, Day Lilies 2 varieties etc....................

Rod

I think the complaint was about the imprecision of the labelling, not
the lack of variety.

To add to the list of imprecise labelling, selling Hibiscus syriacus as
red ('Woodbridge'), blue ('Oiseau Bleu') and white (not sure which one
this was). I think I've seen Camellias sold by colour as well.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley