Old 17-05-2012, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What is the best gardening-related gift you've ever received?(or wish you had)?

On 5/17/12 1:55 AM, Mayners67 wrote:
A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

Many thanks

Generally, I hate to receive gifts for use in my garden. I prefer to
examine and even handle items for my garden before deciding to purchase
them.

HOWEVER, my wife gave me something that I find to be very important: a
kneeler-seat. A photo is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/seat.jpg.
Mine was made by Step 2; see http://www.step2.com/p/Garden-Kneeler-Seat.

It is light-weight and easy to carry. There are hand-holds at the
bottom of each leg and in the middle of the seat.

Upside-down, the underside of the seat has a foam pad to make kneeling
comfortable. The legs are then helpful for getting down and up again;
just be careful not to put too much weight or outward force on the legs
while rising from a kneeling position.

The instructions say not to stand on the seat. I ignore that. It has
not failed under my 245 lbb (111 kg) body.

Note that the seat is very useful for placing small tools while working
in my garden. I don't have to bend all the way to the ground to pick
them up and put them down.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see