Old 17-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered User

Default What is the best gardening-related gift you've ever received? (or wish you had)?

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present, related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

Many thanks
Old 17-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User

Smile

Hi Mayners67,

I am a keen gardener and have received a few gardening related gifts down the years!! However, last year my friend bought me a couple of items that I particularly liked.

Both were from the same company called glogrow.com who do grow your own and gardening related stuff. The first item was a childrens gardening set which my friend bought me so that I could get the grand kids involved in the garden. The second gift was tree and shrub feed (Garden Shrubs & Plants liquid feed for Sale - GloGrow.com) which I used on the woody plants in my garden. The feed made my flowers and fruit trees look amazing!

So if your friend has grand kids or young children and woody plants in their garden I can definitely recommend those as gifts! I know glogrow do other gardening items depending on your friends garden etc!

Hope this helps!
Old 17-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayners67 View Post
A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present, related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

Many thanks
Looking for gift ideas for gardeners? Well think yourself very lucky because gardeners are easy to buy interesting gifts for – unlike mothers! I should know – I have been a gardener for most of my life and in that time have received countless gifts related in some way to gardening, some great and some not so great.

When you are trying to think of something to buy as a gift you will usually ask yourself – what do they like? With a gardener – home run! The only downside I have found is that most gifts I receive are garden related and nothing else! But hey, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I was just going to tell you about a few of the best gardening gifts I have been given over the years but as I did a little research for this article it has started to look more like my personal wish list – some great new ideas out there.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 17-05-2012, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mayners67.gardenbanana.uk wrote:

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Your friend is a "them"?

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

You give little to go on; what type of gardening, how large a garden,
what does this gardener already have... I'd suggest a Mantis tiller,
every gardener needs one.
Old 17-05-2012, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/17/12 1:55 AM, Mayners67 wrote:
A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

Many thanks

Generally, I hate to receive gifts for use in my garden. I prefer to
examine and even handle items for my garden before deciding to purchase
them.

HOWEVER, my wife gave me something that I find to be very important: a
kneeler-seat. A photo is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/seat.jpg.
Mine was made by Step 2; see http://www.step2.com/p/Garden-Kneeler-Seat.

It is light-weight and easy to carry. There are hand-holds at the
bottom of each leg and in the middle of the seat.

Upside-down, the underside of the seat has a foam pad to make kneeling
comfortable. The legs are then helpful for getting down and up again;
just be careful not to put too much weight or outward force on the legs
while rising from a kneeling position.

The instructions say not to stand on the seat. I ignore that. It has
not failed under my 245 lbb (111 kg) body.

Note that the seat is very useful for placing small tools while working
in my garden. I don't have to bend all the way to the ground to pick
them up and put them down.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Old 17-05-2012, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mayners67 wrote:

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

deep tissue massage from someone who knows what
they are doing.

a mug of iced tea or water on a hot day.

pleasant/interesting conversation and
humor.

the most important gift we ever give is
our time and companionship.

songbird
Old 17-05-2012, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Mayners67 wrote:

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)

deep tissue massage from someone who knows what
they are doing.

a mug of iced tea or water on a hot day.

pleasant/interesting conversation and
humor.

the most important gift we ever give is
our time and companionship.

songbird

All true but I'd add this.

http://goo.gl/44au5

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 18-05-2012, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/17/12 11:41 AM, Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

Mayners67 wrote:

[...]

I use a large, sturdy kitchen paring knife that cost less than half the
price of the hori hori. My knife's handle is a composition that is not
wood, so I don't have to worry about using it in a wet area. The tang
of the blade runs all the way through the handle, which means the blade
won't separate from the handle when I'm levering out a weed growing in
the joint between two bricks.

Old 18-05-2012, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50
in a few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..
but I could do with some help with ideas!
Please let me know what the best gardening-related present is that
you've ever received, or what you would ideally like to get as present,
related to gardening. Obviously it has to be something that all keen
gardeners would love to get (not just you)! Please be a specific as
possible (i.e. make/model, if relevant)
Many thanks

Here's a place that's well respected -
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/index.aspx
... perhaps something will stand-out as the perfect gift ?
John T.

Old 19-05-2012, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 17 May 2012 08:55:05 +0000, Mayners67
wrote:

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Ideas (none of these were received as gifts - I'm solidly in the "let
me buy what I actually want, not what you think I do" camp):

If they start their own plants:

Hydrofarm seedling heat mat

A good grow light germination tray

Gift Certificate to a reputable seed vendor
(Baker Creek, Sustainable Seed, etc)

Perhaps they've been mentioning that there's some plant
they'd really like to grow? Find the seed for it.

Do they have many seeds? Get them something good to store and
organize them in.

If you're local to them and they manage a large garden:

A "gift certificate" of your time - to come over for a solid day
or two to dig, plant, weed, run irrigation, whatever.

Call around and find a good soil amendment source (with a variety
of composts available) and get a gift certificate for so many
cubic yards of that delivered. Depending on the humour of your
friend, you could provide them with a card saying you've gotten
them a load of comopost ... no $#!t!

Tools:
I love tools, but selection of such things is highly personal,
both for 'fit', likes and dislikes, and general utility. Powered
(a Mantis or similar cultivator is awesome for raised beds) vs.
hand (a good scuffle hoe, a Rogue hoe, etc - all good to have, but
does your friend already have such things, or do they eschew the
manual labour?)

Gizmos - light, moisture, and pH metres (available in a 3-way
combo even) can be useful, but some gardeners just wing it and
such a thing would be a waste.

Pruners - surely your friend has a good set already, but if not, a
new Felco, Fiskars, or Corona pruner might be good. Perhaps
they've got arthritis creeping in, or lack hand strength - an
offset gear type (adds leverage for more power) or ratcheting
model might be good.

Services:
if they've got a gopher problem, perhaps arrange to hire a gopher
erradication service. This of course needs to be done with the
cooperation of your friend.

Kitch/Wimsy/Decorative:

Solar lights

Copper plant markers.

Suncatcher

Decorative windmill or windsock

Park bench (or arrange to construct one on-site - I just built and
installed an 8' plank bench under a willow in my yard yesterday,
and expect it'll be a nice spot to rest).

Hardwa

Trellis' (for growing vining plants, or pole beans, etc). They
come in many forms.

Nice heavy duty tomato cages.

Drip irrigation system (avoid the schlocky "starter kits") - how
do they currently water their garden?

A good high quality spray nozzle (or two). I like DRAMM nozzles.

Garb (most of which needs sizing for your friend):

A good sun hat for working in the garden

Garden clogs

Gardening gloves

Gardening apron (pouches to hold a few tools and supplies, plus
keeps some of the crud off of you).

Perhaps they'd like a rain barrel setup? A nice decorative pot (or
two or three).

You'd probably have an easier time of determining what they might like
or need in their garden if you spent time out there with them, and
casually asked questions. Perhaps company is what they'd appreciate -
or perhaps not, as sometimes gardening is a personal endeavour and an
opportunity to contemplate.

Old 19-05-2012, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mayners67 wrote:

A friend of mine whose greatest passion is gardening is turning 50 in a
few weeks and I'd like to get them a present related to gardening..but I
could do with some help with ideas!

Without at least giving a price range all anyone can offer is wild
speculation.