Old 22-05-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jamie D.[_2_] Jamie D.[_2_] is offline

Default Safe to eat or not

On 2012-05-20 16:23:14 +0100, "D. T. Green" said:

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat
them
please?

Here's a US recipe for making soup with
themhttp://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/

We grow mini packs of beet greens for people to bring on themselves and
then use as a food in itself. I think it's something that has fallen
out of popularity in UK but it's making a comeback!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
South Devon

YES.
The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
root, also better than spinach.
I've eaten them for years.
David @ the rain free end of Swansea Bay

You've definitely piqued my interest! I've never tried beet greens. How/when
would you recommend I harvest them?

Is it a case of letting the beetroot itself mature, then harvesting the root
and the leaves, or would you take the leaves from immature beetroot
(possibly as cut-and-come-again greens) to allow much quicker harvesting and
tighter spacing?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,