Old 20-05-2012, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

Default Safe to eat or not

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
please?

Old 20-05-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:23*am, "D. T. Green" wrote:
Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
please?

I eat beet leaves all the time. My wife will add them when she makes
beet salad. Not sure what you mean by stems though.
Old 20-05-2012, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

"D. T. Green" wrote in
:

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat
them please?

If in doubt chuck 'em out.

NEVER take advice in a newsgroup when asking about what is, or is not safe
to eat. There are people who would love to lead you up the wrong path.

http://tinyurl.com/c6j54rd

I think the above url is ok.
Baz
Old 20-05-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

In article ,
spamtrap1888 wrote:
On May 20, 8:23=A0am, "D. T. Green" wrote:
Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat th=

em
please?

I eat beet leaves all the time. My wife will add them when she makes
beet salad. Not sure what you mean by stems though.

There are varieties of beet grown specifically for their leaves
and stems, and young beetroot leaves are sold in supermarkets as
a salad ingredient. While Wikipedia isn't perfectly reliable,
this page looks pretty solid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beet

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-05-2012, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2012-05-20 16:23:14 +0100, "D. T. Green" said:

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
please?

Here's a US recipe for making soup with themhttp://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/

We grow mini packs of beet greens for people to bring on themselves and
then use as a food in itself. *I think it's something that has fallen
out of popularity in UK but it's making a comeback!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
South Devon

YES.
The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
root, also better than spinach.
I've eaten them for years.
David @ the rain free end of Swansea Bay

Old 20-05-2012, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:56:48 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We grow mini packs of beet greens for people to bring on themselves and
then use as a food in itself. I think it's something that has fallen
out of popularity in UK but it's making a comeback!

I adore beet greens!

Old 20-05-2012, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-20 16:15:30 +0000, Baz said:

"D. T. Green" wrote in
:

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat
them please?

If in doubt chuck 'em out.

That's always the safest. I sometimes wonder how people figured out a
way to enjoy fugu.

The wife loves beet greens and when she buys them fresh at the store
makes sure to get the ones with them still attached.

Old 20-05-2012, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Dave Hill wrote:
The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
root, also better than spinach.

Interesting, every time I've grown beetroot they've always had something attack the
leaves (look like some kind of beetle holes in them). I know they're edible, but
they've never looked appetising. :-/
Old 21-05-2012, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

"D. T. Green" wrote:

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

Beet leaves (American spelling; sorry...) are fine to eat. Swiss Chard is
just beet bred for its foliage. With any greens, fresher is better of
course.

Old 22-05-2012, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 20, 5:56 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 2012-05-20 16:23:14 +0100, "D. T. Green" said:

[...]

You've definitely piqued my interest! I've never tried beet greens. How/when
would you recommend I harvest them?

Is it a case of letting the beetroot itself mature, then harvesting the root
and the leaves, or would you take the leaves from immature beetroot
(possibly as cut-and-come-again greens) to allow much quicker harvesting and
tighter spacing?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.

Old 22-05-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jamie D. wrote:

You've definitely piqued my interest! I've never tried beet greens. How/when
would you recommend I harvest them?

Is it a case of letting the beetroot itself mature, then harvesting the root
and the leaves, or would you take the leaves from immature beetroot
(possibly as cut-and-come-again greens) to allow much quicker harvesting and
tighter spacing?

Either or both. Or eat the thinnings as salad or cooked greens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-05-2012, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Jamie D. wrote:

You've definitely piqued my interest! I've never tried beet greens.
How/when
would you recommend I harvest them?

Is it a case of letting the beetroot itself mature, then harvesting the
root
and the leaves, or would you take the leaves from immature beetroot
(possibly as cut-and-come-again greens) to allow much quicker harvesting
and
tighter spacing?

Either or both. Or eat the thinnings as salad or cooked greens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick,

Thanks for the quick response - I may have a go as my beetroot are thriving
and are a little crowded. I'll give the leaves a try; can't wait!