Old 27-05-2012, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice on Lemon scented plants

On 27/05/2012 11:55, gmb27 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on a major garden redesign. I'm trying to
create a sensory garden for my toddler and want to have lots I scented
plants. As I love lemon I'd like to incorporate a range of lemon
plants/herbs but I've never planted these before and wondered if anyone
had any advice or experience. I would love a mix of larger bushy and
smaller border type plants but I'm after the scent most importantly.

I live in Devon - I'm not sure if this has an impact climate wise.

Any comments gratefully received!

Thanks,

Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
Lemon Verbena (Aloysia triphylla or Aloysia ciriodora)

The first is hardy. The second should be hardy in Devon (provided you
aren't high up on one of the moors!).

Indoors, one of the lemon-scented pelargoniums would be a good choice.
Also try Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon). You can easily grow this by buying
some fresh stems in a supermarket, and putting them in shallow water,
where they will root after several weeks. Once rooted, pot them up, and
keep well-watered in a warm, sunny place.

--

Jeff