Old 27-05-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Greenhouse mayhem

kay wrote:
I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some
Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until
the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the
louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking
well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping
them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.

I presume you've watered them. Also spray the leaves. Keep them cool and
in the shade until they have recovered.

But don't spray the leaves when the sun is shining on them.

I had a fucshia that looked almost dead, but plonked it in the shade in a
bucket of water and it is right as rain. Nick left out some strawberry
plants which looked well toasted, the water isn't doing them much good on
the leaves that are damaged, but new ones are coming through fine.

If they do recover, they will appreciate the sunshine. But in this hot
weather you need to have the greenhouse door open as well. And of course
check watering every day, if not twice a day.

Fortunately my 'hot' greenhouse isn't mine, it's in someone else's
garden, and she opens the door for me in the morning (and I close it
at night)