Old 27-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered User

Red face Greenhouse mayhem

I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.
Old 27-05-2012, 12:25 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor View Post
I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.
I presume you've watered them. Also spray the leaves. Keep them cool and in the shade until they have recovered.

If they do recover, they will appreciate the sunshine. But in this hot weather you need to have the greenhouse door open as well. And of course check watering every day, if not twice a day.
__________________
Old 27-05-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Greenhouse mayhem

kay wrote:
I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some
Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until
the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the
louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking
well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping
them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.

I presume you've watered them. Also spray the leaves. Keep them cool and
in the shade until they have recovered.

But don't spray the leaves when the sun is shining on them.

I had a fucshia that looked almost dead, but plonked it in the shade in a
bucket of water and it is right as rain. Nick left out some strawberry
plants which looked well toasted, the water isn't doing them much good on
the leaves that are damaged, but new ones are coming through fine.

If they do recover, they will appreciate the sunshine. But in this hot
weather you need to have the greenhouse door open as well. And of course
check watering every day, if not twice a day.

Fortunately my 'hot' greenhouse isn't mine, it's in someone else's
garden, and she opens the door for me in the morning (and I close it
at night)
Old 27-05-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 May 2012 10:20:58 +0000, Preditor
wrote:

I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some
Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until
the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the
louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking
well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping
them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.

The last few days have been challenging. Leaving the door open is one
strategy. Another, that I am going to explore tomorrow, is to apply
some Shading Paint to selected panes. (Always assuming that I can buy
some and that there is a sensible way to remove it later!) I also
fabricated a screen door from battens and wire mesh so that I could
leave the GH door open without the local fauna gaining access and
wreaking more havoc.

I have an RF thermometer sensor in the GH so that I can see from the
comfort of my computer station when things are getting overheated and
plants are at risk. Same in the conservatory, in which earlier this
week unprecedented temperatures were reached.

As to the Chillies, I understand that they prefer to be drier rather
than wetter and that one should leave them to get almost to the
wilting stage before watering them. I have retrieved a number of
plants that were close to being composted by careful, sparing
watering. Too much and they will rot off. You might be lucky.

HTH
JonH

Old 27-05-2012, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
wrote:

As to the Chillies, I understand that they prefer to be drier rather
than wetter and that one should leave them to get almost to the
wilting stage before watering them. I have retrieved a number of
plants that were close to being composted by careful, sparing
watering. Too much and they will rot off. You might be lucky.

Well, yes, but this weather is actually fairly easy for them,
provided that they are in a sandy (i.e. free-draining) JI compost
(soil-based). You are right they they can be let get very dry,
but in this weather and such soils, then can be soaked.

What they hate is staying very wet, especially when cold, like
many subtropicals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-05-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Preditor wrote in
:

I am a complete newby when it comes to Greenhouses and planted some
Chili seeds in my greenhouse some time ago and all was doing fine until
the this last bout of really hot weather, I had the roof vet and the
louver vent open but my poor chillies have now wilted and are looking
well sad, can anyone tell me how I might revive them other than keeping
them in a cool place and out of this strong sunshine from now on.

If you havent already done so, I would put them outside for a day in a well
aired position, and make sure they are well watered. Should revive them.

I know it goes agains what your op says, but if they are to be saved.....

Good luck.
Baz

more bunny mayhem PatK Gardening 6 07-06-2005 09:11 PM
Pond Mayhem bobkiely Ponds 2 23-05-2003 04:20 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM
Ant-hostile greenhouse Vespaman Orchids 0 28-01-2003 04:26 PM