Old 27-05-2012, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse mayhem

In article ,
wrote:

As to the Chillies, I understand that they prefer to be drier rather
than wetter and that one should leave them to get almost to the
wilting stage before watering them. I have retrieved a number of
plants that were close to being composted by careful, sparing
watering. Too much and they will rot off. You might be lucky.

Well, yes, but this weather is actually fairly easy for them,
provided that they are in a sandy (i.e. free-draining) JI compost
(soil-based). You are right they they can be let get very dry,
but in this weather and such soils, then can be soaked.

What they hate is staying very wet, especially when cold, like
many subtropicals.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.