Old 27-05-2012, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Allotments

"Christina Websell" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"David Hill" wrote

We get many postings about the cost etc. of allotments.
I thought members would be interested in this item about Malta's first
allotment scheme.
A hundred Euro a year, but support, lectures etc. Interesting ideas.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...fingers.421431
David @ the arid end of Swansea Bay where we now have powdered mud and
Dried Universal Soil Talc which we are calling DUST

Last time I went to Malta I thought they had concreted over all the land
or turned it into rubbish dumps!

Only ?100 per year and free manure too, that is so cheap.

Manure costs me only £12 per lead delivered (one year old well rotted)
but the normal charge for an allotment here is £13.50 per sq Rod (OAPs
get it at 50%). So a normal 10 rod allotment here is £135.00 per year
plus manure, water is provided but no hoses are allowed.

That seems quite expensive - the allotment charge, not the manure.
There is no allotment land available in my village. Except mine. The
Parish Council have moaned at me for years to let them lease it to provide
plots that are continually being asked for, but all I would get is around
£10-15/year for each plot.
As it cost me a horrible amount of money (half the cost of my house at the
time) I said no.

I am using it myself to grow veggies for the first time with my brother.
He hasn't much experience, whereas I have, and he is very sensitive to the
slightest hint of criticism - which is advice.
Whether it will work if he continues to get annoyed with me when I suggest
a better way, I don't know.

I believe that Runnymede BC have the dearest allotments in the Country now
so that is not the normal general allotment charge.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.