Old 27-05-2012, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotments

We get many postings about the cost etc. of allotments.
I thought members would be interested in this item about Malta's first
allotment scheme.
A hundred Euro a year, but support, lectures etc. Interesting ideas.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...fingers.421431
David @ the arid end of Swansea Bay where we now have powdered mud and
Dried Universal Soil Talc which we are calling DUST
Old 27-05-2012, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

We get many postings about the cost etc. of allotments.
I thought members would be interested in this item about Malta's first
allotment scheme.
A hundred Euro a year, but support, lectures etc. Interesting ideas.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...fingers.421431
David @ the arid end of Swansea Bay where we now have powdered mud and
Dried Universal Soil Talc which we are calling DUST

Last time I went to Malta I thought they had concreted over all the land or
turned it into rubbish dumps!

Only €100 per year and free manure too, that is so cheap.

Manure costs me only £12 per lead delivered (one year old well rotted) but
the normal charge for an allotment here is £13.50 per sq Rod (OAPs get it at
50%). So a normal 10 rod allotment here is £135.00 per year plus manure,
water is provided but no hoses are allowed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-05-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David Hill" wrote

[...]

That seems quite expensive - the allotment charge, not the manure.
There is no allotment land available in my village. Except mine. The
Parish Council have moaned at me for years to let them lease it to provide
plots that are continually being asked for, but all I would get is around
£10-15/year for each plot.
As it cost me a horrible amount of money (half the cost of my house at the
time) I said no.

I am using it myself to grow veggies for the first time with my brother. He
hasn't much experience, whereas I have, and he is very sensitive to the
slightest hint of criticism - which is advice.
Whether it will work if he continues to get annoyed with me when I suggest a
better way, I don't know.
Tina

Old 27-05-2012, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ..
"Bob Hobden" wrote
"David Hill" wrote

[...]

I believe that Runnymede BC have the dearest allotments in the Country now
so that is not the normal general allotment charge.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-05-2012, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 May 2012 17:26:47 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

That seems quite expensive - the allotment charge, not the manure.
There is no allotment land available in my village. Except mine. The
Parish Council have moaned at me for years to let them lease it to provide
plots that are continually being asked for, but all I would get is around
£10-15/year for each plot.

Set up a private allotment site and charge more.

http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 28-05-2012, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

That seems quite expensive - the allotment charge, not the manure.
There is no allotment land available in my village. Except mine. The
Parish Council have moaned at me for years to let them lease it to provide
plots that are continually being asked for, but all I would get is around
£10-15/year for each plot.

Set up a private allotment site and charge more.

Not worth the trouble to have 150ish/year for insurance.

We are trying to get 1/3 acre under control. after my goats were gone.
Brambles of course they would eat and also the nettles and bindweed. I need
to borrow 3 goats for a few weeks. Oh my goodness, how I miss them. Not
because of their weeding eating.

Old 29-05-2012, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 May 2012 21:38:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

That seems quite expensive - the allotment charge, not the manure.
There is no allotment land available in my village. Except mine. The
Parish Council have moaned at me for years to let them lease it to
provide
plots that are continually being asked for, but all I would get is
around
£10-15/year for each plot.

Set up a private allotment site and charge more.

Not worth the trouble to have 150ish/year for insurance.

We are trying to get 1/3 acre under control. after my goats were gone.
Brambles of course they would eat and also the nettles and bindweed. I
need
to borrow 3 goats for a few weeks. Oh my goodness, how I miss them. Not
because of their weeding eating.

In The Netherlands somebody runs a rent-a-flock of sheep and a
shepherd for this sort of thing.
--

Sounds like a great idea. This had gone far beyond sheep, though.
Rent-a-few goats followed by rent-a-few pigs would have worked a treat for

Tina