Old 29-05-2012, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New chickens (OT)

I bought 3 new girls yesterday.
For many years (since the 70's) I had loads of chickens, several rare
breeds, sold hatching eggs, incubated, went to poultry shows, all that
stuff.
I had to wind it down as I started to have bad health.
My last rare breed lad died aged 9 when I was in hospital in October. My
last ex-batt died in March.

I am now recovered and could not be without some hens. The place is not
normal without them.
I won't be hatching and breeding again, so I chose hybrids. Two are called
Pied Rangers, and the other Copper Black. These will give me enough eggs
for my family.
I'm not happy with one of the Pieds. She is showing signs of illness
(drooping tail, vent pasted with white today and walking slowly) I have a 7
day guarantee but if I remember rightly it was a referral to vet at their
expense.
My idea, if she is no better tomorrow is to return her, and get a better one
from the same group, another one from the group I got her from should slot
in quickly as they have only been apart for 2 days. Let *them* take her to
the vet. They cost 18.99 each phew and I really don't want to drive 10
miles to the vet for a chicken I just got.
Do you all think my stance is reasonable?

Btw, I mentioned "walking slowly" In my years of experience of keeping
poultry, this is a very serious sign (along with other signs of illness)
that I noticed means "I am very ill, and despite what you do, I will die"

Of course hens can choose to walk slowly or quickly when they are in full
health. I know the signs of an ill hen and I have one.
I could kick myself for choosing her. I rejected her once because when I
handled her she felt thin. She had a big comb and wattles and I thought
she might come into lay soon, so when I picked her up again, I thought well
maybe she got bullied off the food.
I should have trusted my instinct and knowledge.
Baad decision.

Tina