Old 29-05-2012, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New chickens (OT)

I bought 3 new girls yesterday.
For many years (since the 70's) I had loads of chickens, several rare
breeds, sold hatching eggs, incubated, went to poultry shows, all that
stuff.
I had to wind it down as I started to have bad health.
My last rare breed lad died aged 9 when I was in hospital in October. My
last ex-batt died in March.

I am now recovered and could not be without some hens. The place is not
normal without them.
I won't be hatching and breeding again, so I chose hybrids. Two are called
Pied Rangers, and the other Copper Black. These will give me enough eggs
for my family.
I'm not happy with one of the Pieds. She is showing signs of illness
(drooping tail, vent pasted with white today and walking slowly) I have a 7
day guarantee but if I remember rightly it was a referral to vet at their
expense.
My idea, if she is no better tomorrow is to return her, and get a better one
from the same group, another one from the group I got her from should slot
in quickly as they have only been apart for 2 days. Let *them* take her to
the vet. They cost 18.99 each phew and I really don't want to drive 10
miles to the vet for a chicken I just got.
Do you all think my stance is reasonable?

Btw, I mentioned "walking slowly" In my years of experience of keeping
poultry, this is a very serious sign (along with other signs of illness)
that I noticed means "I am very ill, and despite what you do, I will die"

Of course hens can choose to walk slowly or quickly when they are in full
health. I know the signs of an ill hen and I have one.
I could kick myself for choosing her. I rejected her once because when I
handled her she felt thin. She had a big comb and wattles and I thought
she might come into lay soon, so when I picked her up again, I thought well
maybe she got bullied off the food.
I should have trusted my instinct and knowledge.
Baad decision.

Tina

Old 30-05-2012, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2012 00:23, Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you've bought a dud. I think you should definitely take her
back, especially at that price! I bought a few hybrid pullets myself a
couple of months ago for €8.50 each and they are very healthy and have
started laying very nicely. Based on how fast mine can run (they are
free range) when I bring them food, I'd say that a chicken that can't
walk very fast has serious problems. I'm no expert though, being a
newbie to chicken keeping. You may want to register and ask on this
site, I've found the folks there very helpful and knowledgeable:

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/index.php

Old 30-05-2012, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I'm not happy with one of the Pieds. She is showing signs of illness
(drooping tail, vent pasted with white today and walking slowly) I have a 7
day guarantee but if I remember rightly it was a referral to vet at their
expense.
My idea, if she is no better tomorrow is to return her, and get a better one
from the same group, another one from the group I got her from should slot
in quickly as they have only been apart for 2 days. Let *them* take her to
the vet. They cost 18.99 each phew and I really don't want to drive 10
miles to the vet for a chicken I just got.
Do you all think my stance is reasonable?

Seems fair enough to me, replacing like with like. 18.99 seems an awful
lot. We get PoL birds from Cambridge Poultry, and I'm sure they are only
10 pound each, and that was considered pricey (but for reliable quality)

Btw, I mentioned "walking slowly" In my years of experience of keeping
poultry, this is a very serious sign (along with other signs of illness)
that I noticed means "I am very ill, and despite what you do, I will die"

Our white chicken which I thought was on her last legs last year is still
plodding about slowly and with a bit of a limp, but has also still managed
a few eggs on and off. She's not dropped dead yet.

Of course hens can choose to walk slowly or quickly when they are in full
health. I know the signs of an ill hen and I have one.
I could kick myself for choosing her. I rejected her once because when I
handled her she felt thin. She had a big comb and wattles and I thought
she might come into lay soon, so when I picked her up again, I thought well
maybe she got bullied off the food.
I should have trusted my instinct and knowledge.
Baad decision.

Always best to go with first instinct.

The first 2 Nick got, before he knew what to look for, were both very
sluggish and dull. It wasn't until he got someone else to look at them
and we took them back and replaced with 'better' ones, and we realised
that complacent acceptance of handling wasn't 'normal'.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Seems fair enough to me, replacing like with like. 18.99 seems an awful
lot.

I used to buy POL birds from a commercial producer, on the only occasion
I requested a replacement he happily gave me another but would not take
back the blind bird ; it was mine to keep or dispose of.

Because it had been on my premises (where there were other poultry and
wild birds) he wouldn't risk it bringing an acquired infection back into
his flock.

Cyclops eventually learned to find her way round as a freerange bird
and turned into a great layer .

Nicely named. :-)
The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

Old 30-05-2012, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

Well, if they came from the same source they were probably all exposed to
it before she got them

Possibly, but if they are living in a big area/shed/etc the 3 in question
may not have had much direct contact, or maybe their immune systems were
going well earlier on and the move disturbed them, or maybe the ill one
had just picked it up off a wild bird, or ... I don't know, just pointing
out that it's probably not worth the risk of putting a sick bird in with
2 healthy ones whe you don't have to.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Janet wrote:
Seems fair enough to me, replacing like with like. 18.99 seems an awful
lot.

I used to buy POL birds from a commercial producer, on the only occasion
I requested a replacement he happily gave me another but would not take
back the blind bird ; it was mine to keep or dispose of.

Because it had been on my premises (where there were other poultry and
wild birds) he wouldn't risk it bringing an acquired infection back into
his flock.

Cyclops eventually learned to find her way round as a freerange bird
and turned into a great layer .

Nicely named. :-)
The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

It's that too, but it's more that I don't want a dud. These are young POL
pullets and 18.99 is expensive for one that may never do well. 2 will not
be enough to provide my family with eggs.
I was not able to to take her back today (other commitments) but I will be
going there tomorrow - without her - to see what my options are.
She is not desperately ill, just "not right."
She does eat, but not enough, not with gusto, consequently her droppings are
not firm enough. Too much white (urine) and not enough brown.
I'll see what they say tomorrow.
The other two are absolutely fine. Very perky, upright tails, run around
like crazy trying to catch flies, getting red faces which means they will
soon lay.

Old 30-05-2012, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Sounds like you've bought a dud. I think you should definitely take her

back, especially at that price! I bought a few hybrid pullets myself a
couple of months ago for €8.50 each and they are very healthy and have
started laying very nicely. Based on how fast mine can run (they are free
range) when I bring them food, I'd say that a chicken that can't walk very
fast has serious problems. I'm no expert though, being a newbie to chicken
keeping. You may want to register and ask on this site, I've found the
folks there very helpful and knowledgeable:

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/index.php

I've been on several similar sites myself; it usually ends up with me
giving out the advice. Thanks anyway, David.

Old 31-05-2012, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
I requested a replacement he happily gave me another but would not take
back the blind bird ; it was mine to keep or dispose of.

The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

It's that too, but it's more that I don't want a dud.

Well, yes, but Janet was talking about being told to keep the dud and the
replacement both.

These are young POL
pullets and 18.99 is expensive for one that may never do well. 2 will not
be enough to provide my family with eggs.

Was there any particular reason for the price being so high? Have they
gone up so muchin the last year or so? Or is it the only supplier near
you? Or is there something 'special' about them?

Old 31-05-2012, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:
I requested a replacement he happily gave me another but would not take
back the blind bird ; it was mine to keep or dispose of.

The problem in Tina's case, I guess, is she doesn't want it to infect
her others if there is anything that can be passed on.

It's that too, but it's more that I don't want a dud.

Well, yes, but Janet was talking about being told to keep the dud and the
replacement both.

These are young POL
pullets and 18.99 is expensive for one that may never do well. 2 will not
be enough to provide my family with eggs.

Was there any particular reason for the price being so high? Have they
gone up so muchin the last year or so? Or is it the only supplier near
you? Or is there something 'special' about them?

I have just paid 15ukp each for two 8 week old Welsummers, don't know
if that is particularly expensive or not for the breed but I have
noticed that the price of eggs and chickens have gone up considerably
recently since the government or whoever banned battery hens.

Stephen

Old 31-05-2012, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Christina Websell"
wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
Sounds like you've bought a dud. I think you should definitely take her

back, especially at that price! I bought a few hybrid pullets myself a
couple of months ago for €8.50 each and they are very healthy and have
started laying very nicely. Based on how fast mine can run (they are free
range) when I bring them food, I'd say that a chicken that can't walk very
fast has serious problems. I'm no expert though, being a newbie to chicken
keeping. You may want to register and ask on this site, I've found the
folks there very helpful and knowledgeable:

http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/index.php

I've been on several similar sites myself; it usually ends up with me
giving out the advice. Thanks anyway, David.

Recently joined that forum myself, it does seem very informative.

Stephen

Old 31-05-2012, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
David in Normandy wrote:

On 31/05/2012 14:15, wrote:

I have just paid 15ukp each for two 8 week old Welsummers, don't know
if that is particularly expensive or not for the breed but I have
noticed that the price of eggs and chickens have gone up considerably
recently since the government or whoever banned battery hens.

That is one of the factors that influenced us to start keeping chickens.
The price of eggs rocketed and since we have the available land to keep
some free range chickens it seemed like a good idea.
€8.50 per (hybrid) pullet from the local livestock market seems like a
bargain compared to UK prices. They are strong, healthy birds too.
Identical price on the other poultry stalls too.

Initially we inquired how much they would cost to buy from a local
breeder directly from his farm - €12 per bird! So it works out cheaper
to wait for these same people to take their livestock to the market and
buy there. Either that or he thought "some dumb English to rip off" with
a private sale.

We bought ours from a local farm, we're going to pick up two Rhode
Island Reds in a couple of weeks that we've ordered but they're a bit
too young to sex at the moment otherwise we would have picked them up
the other day.
I know we should have left them to pick up all at the same time but
our poor little girls were getting bullied and one of them has a
couple of tail feathers missing from being pecked by the larger birds.

Also the chicken run at the farm had to be covered with netting to
stop the crows (or one in particular) from killing the young chickens,
apparently the crow is just out of shotgun range.

Stephen.

--
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.
Old 31-05-2012, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

In message
David in Normandy wrote:

On 31/05/2012 14:15,
wrote:

[...]

I would be cautious if the farm can't sex them from as young as 1 day.
If they can't figure that out I would go somewhere else.

There is a hatchery close to me and they sex 250 thousand+, day old
chicks per day. Pullets one farm for egglaying and cockerals to another
for the table.

Baz