Old 31-05-2012, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sean Straw Sean Straw is offline

Default Gardener's Worst Sin

On Thu, 31 May 2012 09:21:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I mixed up the "Keep the Deer Away" concentrate with "Kill all the
Weeds" concentrate. By the grace of Mother Nature I switched the mix
AFTER I had sprayed the Roses with correct sprayer. I was just getting
the sprayer ready for the next time. I noticed that it didn't seem to
smell as bad and thought Ut Ohh.
Anyone done the same?

No, probably because I spray the Repels-All from a manufacturer spray
bottle, and I don't use weed killer.

However, when using a single sprayer to apply multiple treatments,
perhaps you should make a marker you twist-tie to the handle as a
clear indicator of what is inside? A piece of vinyl mini blind slat
makes a good durable tag, and those plastic wrapped twist wires found
restraining childrens' toys into their packaging are useful for tieing
them to a handle or bottle neck, etc (I use similar for making row
markers with PVC plumbing for stakes). You could blast the marker
with coloured spray paint, or tape a piece of coloured electrical tape
to it. Red for "poison" or danger or somesuch, Green for some sort of
fertilizer, Orange for some pest treatment, etc.

When done, empty the sprayer into the original non-spray container (if
you haven't used it all up), and return the marker tag to the package
associated with that particular chemical, so it's there to be affixed
to your sprayer the next time you fill it. Of course, don't forget to
rinse the sprayer and flush the pump assembly.

Think of them as something like a "remove before flight" safety
streamer (as seen frequently on military aircraft when on the ground).
I have one on the keyring for one of my performance cars g