Old 22-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Jim W

Default Killing Clematis armandii

Nick Maclaren wrote:

Well, I have probably done that :-( But there wasn't much option,
as it had got terribly tangled in a space far too small for it, and
I had to prune it right back to very old stems.

Assuming that it doesn't recover, I am wondering what I could put
there instead. It is a very sheltered position (for my garden, but
still gets down to -5 Celsius in a typical winter), faces south
west but is only 5' high by 8' wide.

I would like something evergreen and flowering, but have difficulty
in thinking of any that would do well in that small a space. Also,
many of them are a bit tender for me (e.g. Holboellia latifolia
thrives but its buds get frosted). Clematis alpina would do well,
but I have one of them and always like something new.

Any ideas?

Good old Hedera? Try http://www.fibrex.co.uk/
300 different species and cultivars some of which they sell.

There is almost one to suit any condition AFAI can tell. Bound to be
something that takes your fancy.

Incidentally what is up with the main NCCPG site? Seems to have been
taken over by bell ringers?? Weird!
//
Jim