Old 27-02-2003, 05:30 PM

Default [IBC] Omigod Department

In a message dated 2/26/03 3:45:00 PM, IASNOB writes:
Craig may be referring to the tertiary growth on Scots.

Maybe, but around here even Scots pines grow with their older branches
hanging down. It's the snow. The picture in Craig's book shows a Scots pine
with its branches pointing up. A beginner from Central New York would be very
confused without a little explanation.
A few years ago, a well-known bonsai expert from California was critiquing
the show at the MidAtlantic. He came to a conifer with the classic style of
upper branches slanting up, middle branches pointing straight out, and lower
branches slanting down. That's the way trees grow in the Northeast (and the
mountains of Japan). In fact, I have to make a very conscious effort not to
style my tropicals that way. The expert said he didn't like it because it
didn't look natural. I was very puzzled, but it didn't hit me until I was on
my way home: Of course, he's from California.
Iris

"You must have a goal. Then you know when you've failed."
Garfield

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++