Old 26-02-2003, 07:40 PM

Default [IBC] Omigod Department

As part of two Introduction to Bonsai packages I am assembling for a Syracuse
Jewish Family Service auction, I am including two copies of Bonsai for
Beginners by Craig Coussins, donated by Borders (patronize them; Barnes &
Noble & Waldenbooks wouldn't give me the time of day). However, while leafing
through it, I found a picture of a Scots pine in its native territory with
the caption, "Pine branches point upward, except at the tip, which points
down." What?! In the Northeast US, all the lower branches on pine trees point
down & the tips point up, because of the heavy load of snow, even on what we
call Scotch pines. I hastily penned in a little explanation. Remember that
big argument we had a few years ago about the triangles?
Iris
"You must have a goal. Then you will know when you've failed."
Garfield

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-02-2003, 03:53 AM
Colin Lewis

From: Michael Persiano

"Pine branches point upward, except at the tip, which
points
down." What . . .

Iris:
Craig may be referring to the tertiary growth on Scots.

Or Australian pine

Colin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-02-2003, 03:16 PM

In a message dated 2/26/03 3:45:00 PM, IASNOB writes:
Craig may be referring to the tertiary growth on Scots.

Maybe, but even Scots pines grow with their older branches hanging down
around here. It's the snow. The picture in Craig's book shows a Scots pine
with its branches pointing up. A beginner from Central New York would be very
confused.
A few years ago, a well-known bonsai expert from California was critiquing
the show at the MidAtlantic. He came to a conifer with the classic style of
upper branches slanting up, middle branches pointing straight out, and lower
branches slanting down. He said he didn't like it because it didn't look
natural. I was very puzzled, but it didn't hit me until I was on my way home:
Of course, he's from California. That's the way trees grow in the Northeast
(and the mountains of Japan). In fact, I have to make a very conscious effort
not to style my tropicals that way.
Iris

"You must have a goal. Then you know when you've failed."
Garfield

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 2/27/2003 9:37:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, IrisCohen writes:

Maybe, but even Scots pines grow with their older branches hanging down
around here. It's the snow. The picture in Craig's book shows a Scots pine
with its branches pointing up. A beginner from Central New
York would be very
confused.

And . . . Let watch those bonsai rules. );-)

There should be no confusion. The natural growth habit of a specimen and the final presentation of that specimen are not necessarily in alignment--nor need they be.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-02-2003, 05:30 PM

In a message dated 2/26/03 3:45:00 PM, IASNOB writes:
Craig may be referring to the tertiary growth on Scots.

Maybe, but around here even Scots pines grow with their older branches
hanging down. It's the snow. The picture in Craig's book shows a Scots pine
with its branches pointing up. A beginner from Central New York would be very
confused without a little explanation.
A few years ago, a well-known bonsai expert from California was critiquing
the show at the MidAtlantic. He came to a conifer with the classic style of
upper branches slanting up, middle branches pointing straight out, and lower
branches slanting down. That's the way trees grow in the Northeast (and the
mountains of Japan). In fact, I have to make a very conscious effort not to
style my tropicals that way. The expert said he didn't like it because it

Old 27-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Iris Cohen

The natural growth habit of a specimen and the final presentation of that
specimen are not necessarily in alignment--nor need they be.

Depends on what school you are from, and also the species under discussion. I
don't belong to the Kimura school. To me, if the tree has some sort of artistic
shape in nature, like a pine tree, I would like to capture the essence of it in
bonsai. For those trees which don't look like anything in particular in nature,
like Serissa or Grewia, then I would say style it any way you like and devil
take the hindmost.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Colin Lewis

From: Iris Cohen

.... For those trees which don't look like anything in particular in
nature, like Serissa ....

.... don't look like much as bonsai either ;o)

Colin

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++