Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Dwight Sipler

Default A Hyperbaric Greenhouse

Noitartst wrote:

Hello. I am trying to construct a hyperbaric greenhouse with twice
normal air pressure. Please inform me if you have any ideas of where I
should look for info on such an unusual greenhouse to say the least.

I want to know the materials needed, and how much they cost, for one.
I wish that someone here could please push me in a useful direction.
Thank you.

Not being an engineer, I don't know what materials are needed and how
much they cost, but I have a gut feeling that it will be *VERY*
expensive. Since normal air pressure is about 15psi, the extra pressure
on the greenhouse will be over a ton per square foot. That means that
the frame will have to be very heavy and it is unlikely that normal
greenhouse coverings will stand the strain.

The greenhouse will have to be air conditioned. Normally, ventilation
would provide this function, but to keep the pressure up, this option is
not available.

Safety issues: what happens if a panel fails? Where does the shrapnel
go?

Whatever are you growing that is worth such an effort???