Old 22-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Jim W

Default Advice on hops

You could be asking either Jim, but anyway;-)

I got mine several from Agroforestry Research Trust

http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/

2 named Cultivars (one is 'Fuggle' I cannot remember the other)
A second golden hop (H. lupulus 'aureus') came from a garden centre but
turned out to be male. I now have a female from a fellow URGler which
is supposed to be golden though its looking a little dark right now.

For the record the females get the proper 'hops' the male plants do not.

If anyone wants some I have several offsets/runners going spare that
need to be dug up!
Email me if you're interested.

They do have them in a lot of garden centres, but they won't look like
much right now as they are only just sprouting up from the ground (they
die right back in winter)
//
JimW

To Email, remove nospam from my email address

David W.E. Roberts wrote:

Jim,
where did you get the hop?
I have seen them growing wild in hedgerows but not in garden centres.
Cheers
Dave R
"JimM" wrote in message
Last year I put in a hop which grew well with 2 stems (bines ?)
During winter I cut this right back as per the instructions and this year

it
has started to sprout but with at least eight stems. Do I allow all 8 of
these to grow or should I cut back the surplus and leave the 2 healthiest

grow.
It's for decorative purposes only, to cover a pergoda I don't use the hops
for brewing so not interested in what they taste like

Thanks
Jim