Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Newbies - totally frustrated Newbies

On Jun 7, 4:55*pm, Esplanade wrote:
Hello to everyone here.

we've been on a council allotment waiting list for nearly 3 years. When
we joined we were #22 on the list. No movement. We've tried:
waiting
phoning
writing
emailing with photos of empty plots
and being a pain in the b*** generally.

Now we are #47 in the list - Yes TRUE! (so being a P-i-t-B didnt work)

The trouble is that out of 50 plots - 30% of them are untended and just
growing weeds. The council just wont release... no reason, they're not
selling the site or anything. It's either side of a public park and is a
real mess...

There's a new guy now looking after the list and we've forced him to
act. A lot of non-cultivation orders have been served but we know that
half of the people have either moved (or died) and will not respond.
Then there's all those people who have mysteriously appeared in the
list.

The summer's here (again), we know that we'll not get anywhere without
making a real fuss and by making a fuss - we will make things even
worse. Even though we now have replies acknowledging our commitment,
deep down we know it's not going to happen.

We're desperate for advice and to try to raise the profile of this..
we've started a blog now as a record (please feel free to visit and to
comment please) and I guess (if its necessary) one day we'll have to
name and shame the council into action...

such a terrible waste..

--
Esplanade

The rent is stupid anyway on allotments.
It's very expensive to set them up with installing water and security
fences etc.

Why don't you find someone with a big garden and come to a crop
sharing arrangement?