Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Esplanade's Avatar
Registered User

Location: NE UK
Unhappy Newbies - totally frustrated Newbies

Hello to everyone here.

we've been on a council allotment waiting list for nearly 3 years. When we joined we were #22 on the list. No movement. We've tried:
waiting
phoning
writing
emailing with photos of empty plots
and being a pain in the b*** generally.

Now we are #47 in the list - Yes TRUE! (so being a P-i-t-B didnt work)

The trouble is that out of 50 plots - 30% of them are untended and just growing weeds. The council just wont release... no reason, they're not selling the site or anything. It's either side of a public park and is a real mess...

There's a new guy now looking after the list and we've forced him to act. A lot of non-cultivation orders have been served but we know that half of the people have either moved (or died) and will not respond. Then there's all those people who have mysteriously appeared in the list.

The summer's here (again), we know that we'll not get anywhere without making a real fuss and by making a fuss - we will make things even worse. Even though we now have replies acknowledging our commitment, deep down we know it's not going to happen.

We're desperate for advice and to try to raise the profile of this.. we've started a blog now as a record (please feel free to visit and to comment please) and I guess (if its necessary) one day we'll have to name and shame the council into action...

such a terrible waste..
Old 08-06-2012, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newbies - totally frustrated Newbies

--
Esplanade

The rent is stupid anyway on allotments.
It's very expensive to set them up with installing water and security
fences etc.

Why don't you find someone with a big garden and come to a crop
sharing arrangement?
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Esplanade" wrote in message

[...]

Do you have a local Allotment Society?
If not, have you joined/considered joining the Nationasl Society of
Allotment and Leisure Gardeners?
They could probably bring additional pressure.

Waiting list management is generally bad across councils, I suspect, and
they do need pushing to move.

Having said that, when I contacted our council earlier this year it turned
out that I was at the top of the waiting list (although they hadn't told me)
so we do have an allotment now.
You may well find that the people higher up the waiting list are not able to
take up a plot this year so you may have a better chance than list position
suggests.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Esplanade" wrote in message
Hello to everyone here.

we've been on a council allotment waiting list for nearly 3 years. When
we joined we were #22 on the list. No movement. We've tried:
waiting
phoning
writing
emailing with photos of empty plots
and being a pain in the b*** generally.

Now we are #47 in the list - Yes TRUE! (so being a P-i-t-B didnt work)

snippy

I beleive in name and shame, providing you are accurate with information.
Contact local papers, local mayor etc.
Pete C

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:55:57 +0000, Esplanade wrote:

Hello to everyone here.

we've been on a council allotment waiting list for nearly 3 years. When
we joined we were #22 on the list. No movement. We've tried: waiting
phoning
writing
emailing with photos of empty plots
and being a pain in the b*** generally.

Now we are #47 in the list - Yes TRUE! (so being a P-i-t-B didnt work)

I have the same problem with Blaby Parish Council who administer the plot
near us. We've been on the waiting list for 7 years. Two years ago we got
up to #3. Then they changed the admin person who decided that as I am not
in the actual village (1/4 of a mile outside the boundary of the village)
they need to allocate to village residents first.

Now I'm at something like #27. Never going to get a plot.

Warwick

Totally, totally OT but wow! Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 15 17-01-2009 11:57 PM
Frustrated!! (cows & corn!) rachael simpson Gardening 1 05-07-2008 12:41 PM
Frustrated bird Padraig Garden Photos 3 02-05-2007 08:08 PM
Newbie and frustrated ebruvold Ponds 29 20-03-2005 01:47 AM
What should I do to keep my water clear? FRUSTRATED...? Lava Plays Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 01-05-2003 04:56 PM