Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Groupon alleged savings - Wisteria

On 2012-06-08 10:26:52 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just got this offer
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...0_0_159&a=1664

6'

wisteria, one for £29 or two for £55.
Plus £7.95 postage.
Now the prices as quoted look reasonable for 6' plants - similar to
other online sites.
However the savings are quotes as 61% off (single) or 63% off (pair).

This would make them £47.54 single or £87.30 for the pair.

Does this seem a reasonable price?
Seems over the top for me and therefore a spoof saving.

Link from Groupon takes you to the Specimen Plants page where they offer
6' high plants (no pot size stated) for £74.95 + P&P
So my original maths was way off - think I calculated that the offer
price was 61% not 39%.
Possibly worth a punt, then - apart from the lack of pot size
information.
Although I might go for a much smaller Wisteria and let it grow on in
situ.

Just recently we had a discussion here about buying Wisterias when you see
them flowering. Then you know their colour is correct *and* that they're
mature enough to flower. A 3' (ish) Wisteria in a 2 or 3 litre pot should
cost about £15.00 or so from a nursery. It will have plenty of root and
get away well. Taller plants in bigger pots will, of course, cost more.
I'm shocked to see online sales of plants in 10.5cm pots for £15.00. I
think, too, that the descriptions of some pots by litres and some by
centimetres, is confusing for the average gardener, especially the
beginner. Before buying, find out the size of the pot so you'll have a
better notion of the maturity of the plant overall.

Yes - that thread led me into the whole sorry tangle I'm now negotiating.
Martin has pointed me to the RHS which seems the best online source so far.
Will look at local nurseries when I get the chance and the wind drops a bit.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)