Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Groupon alleged savings - Wisteria

Just got this offer
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...0_0_159&a=1664
6' wisteria, one for £29 or two for £55.
Plus £7.95 postage.
Now the prices as quoted look reasonable for 6' plants - similar to other
online sites.
However the savings are quotes as 61% off (single) or 63% off (pair).

This would make them £47.54 single or £87.30 for the pair.

Does this seem a reasonable price?
Seems over the top for me and therefore a spoof saving.

Looking for a white and a blue wisteria at the moment so any recommendations
on good suppliers welcome.

Oh, and three in red, white and blue would probably count as a Jubilee
planting :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Pot size would be relevant, my newly done ones often make 6 foot of stem the
first season but they would be too young to be saleable.

I know there are rules (often ignored) that products have to have been on
offer at the higher price for so long somewhere but how it applies to online
I am not sure, someone on the group will know I am sure

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-07 13:09:21 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
said:

[...]

We saw an offer of 1 plant for 'only' £9.99 and 2 plants for 'only' £14.99
in - get this one - 7cm pots! The attraction appeared to be that, if
bought online, there'd be no p&p charge but if bought otherwise it would
be £3.99 for p&p. It's absolutely outrageous.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sadly the public at large seem unaware of the minimum size a plant needs to
be to give the buyer a fighting chance of it surviving, they just think they
are getting a bargain because its cheaper, often it is over priced for the
size, saddest of all is it often puts people off growing groups of plants
completely. "I can't grow clematis, they always die" on close questioning
you find that its been plugs plants from the back of the radio times! often
nice plants but needing another 12 months nurture before planting.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just got this offer
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/natio...0_0_159&a=1664
6' wisteria, one for £29 or two for £55.
Plus £7.95 postage.
Now the prices as quoted look reasonable for 6' plants - similar to other
online sites.
However the savings are quotes as 61% off (single) or 63% off (pair).

This would make them £47.54 single or £87.30 for the pair.

Does this seem a reasonable price?
Seems over the top for me and therefore a spoof saving.

Link from Groupon takes you to the Specimen Plants page where they offer 6'
high plants (no pot size stated) for £74.95 + P&P
So my original maths was way off - think I calculated that the offer price
was 61% not 39%.
Possibly worth a punt, then - apart from the lack of pot size information.
Although I might go for a much smaller Wisteria and let it grow on in situ.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-08 10:26:52 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

[...]

Just recently we had a discussion here about buying Wisterias when you see
them flowering. Then you know their colour is correct *and* that they're
mature enough to flower. A 3' (ish) Wisteria in a 2 or 3 litre pot should
cost about £15.00 or so from a nursery. It will have plenty of root and
get away well. Taller plants in bigger pots will, of course, cost more.
I'm shocked to see online sales of plants in 10.5cm pots for £15.00. I
think, too, that the descriptions of some pots by litres and some by
centimetres, is confusing for the average gardener, especially the
beginner. Before buying, find out the size of the pot so you'll have a
better notion of the maturity of the plant overall.

Yes - that thread led me into the whole sorry tangle I'm now negotiating.
Martin has pointed me to the RHS which seems the best online source so far.
Will look at local nurseries when I get the chance and the wind drops a bit.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-08 13:01:34 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
said:

Snip
[...]

I'll enter a caveat by saying that if they're grafted plants, you're
probably safe to assume that they will flower fairly young and that you
won't have to wait 8+ years for those grown from seed. So - if you can't
find what you want in flower but you know they're grafted, a good nursery
should be able to help you find what you want. Really, it's important for
you to decide what's going to look best in your location. There's going to
be a certain loss of impact if you put a white Wisteria against a white
wall, for example.

Planning to have two - one at each end of a verandah and hopefully meeting
in the middle and inter-twining.
I was planning on one blue and one white.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Top Savings Tip: call abroad for FREE using cross-network minutes from your mobile [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-07-2006 10:00 AM
Daylight Savings Time Change Effect On Gardening Tom or Mary Gardening 10 10-08-2005 04:44 PM
GOOD SAVINGS HERE Jack Australia 0 16-10-2004 03:55 AM
home energy savings Richie Lawns 0 20-09-2003 10:12 AM
Weyerhaeuser sued for alleged market manipulation Mike H alt.forestry 0 07-04-2003 09:44 PM