Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default Moving fruit trees.

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
We want to move houses and have an eye on a place with a very much bigger
garden than we have now.
Problem is that our 2 cherry trees are possibly too established to dig out
and replant. I have had no luck with google.
They were planted 3 years ago, bare rooted and are now aprox.3m(10') high
with 41mm (1 3/4") trunk.

Can I do this?

Anything is possible - however it may be more expensive and time consuming
than buying new ones.
To move an established tree you have to take quite a big root ball.
For garden designers they have these big cranes with a special scoop which
takes out a big chunk of soil all around the tree to keep the roots intact.
They move established trees in and out of garden shows such as Chelsea so it
must be possible.
Just not cheap.
You would have to move them over winter, anyway, to have any hope of them
surviving unless you use the very expensive kit, as far as I can se.

Is there a special reason why you must retain these two trees?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder