Old 22-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Aquilegia munchers

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...

Generally the only European butterflies that are major pests are the
two Cabbage
Whites. Pieris brassicae (The Large White) and Pieris rapae (The

Small
White).
(Technically Pieris cheiranthi too but it is only on a few of the
Canary islands)
There are other species for which garden plants are on the list of
foodplants but generally they won't touch them in a garden

situation.
In France you might just get Swallowtails on your carrots, but that
is worth it. They really are spectacular and so are the caterpillars
There is one on the centre of my home page. I am growing carrots and
several other unbellifers just for captive Swallowtails.

Caterpillar problems are much more likely to be moths. Nothing
specific comes immediately to mind. If you have caterpillars that
gather on the edge of the leaves and curl out defensively when
approached they are the larvae of sawflies.

--
Neil Jones-

Thanks Neil and everyone. Yes, we do have a lot of Swallowtails here,
not seen yet this year though. They love the fennel and later on there
are always dozens of caterpillars just on the two fennels (green and
bronze).

I think the most likely answer is sawfly. It is only the aquilegias
that have been attacked in a very large area full of perennials. Last
year for the first time and again now.

Thanks again.