Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Moving fruit trees.

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 15:42:55 GMT, Baz wrote:

We want to move houses and have an eye on a place with a very much bigger
garden than we have now.
Problem is that our 2 cherry trees are possibly too established to dig out
and replant. I have had no luck with google.
They were planted 3 years ago, bare rooted and are now aprox.3m(10') high
with 41mm (1 3/4") trunk.

Can I do this?

Baz

Cherry roots don't normally go that deep though an established tree
may send down a decent tap root. But they tend to spread beyond the
canopy. So whilst you may not have to dig down all that far, you're
certainly going to have to dig out a fairly large circle and then
transport it intact. Then prepare the hole(s) to receive the trees.
Are you hoping to complete the purchase a few weeks before you
complete the sale? Plus it's a dormant period job, not for high
summer.

A lot of work with a high chance of failure.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.