Old 09-06-2012, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Parsnips

On Jun 9, 6:43*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Anyone got any to germinate this year? Everyone I've spoken too on our
allotment site seems to have had a total failure.

Mine are fine.
The seed don't like soggy wet soil (or clay). Draw out a furrow,put
sand in the bottom and sow the seed coverining with about 1/2" soil.

Raised bed is even better. I grow my show ones on a raised bed, bits
of large diam pipe.
Soil is sand and riddled re-cycle compost. Put a sheet of glass over
if there is heavy rain.

Once germinated less of a problem.
Excess water is the enemy with parsnip seed.